gemaddicts.com
News: PLEASE VISIT OUR MAIN WEBSITE, JUST CLICK HERE

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 01, 2014, 10:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moissanite testing on diamond tester  (Read 5959 times)
Shandroid
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 09, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »

Hi!  I have a running conversation with an Ebay seller of jewelry, and she says that moissanite will ALWAYS test as diamond on ALL diamond testers EVERY time (her words).  Is this true?  Thanks!

You can call me Shan...Smiley
You can see my work here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShantasticJewelry
Jim A.
Trade Count: (+4)
Master Member

Awards: Old Fart

GARNETS!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »

Moissanite is the only one that will fool the diamond testers, in fact only a Specfic Gravity test will help you determine that it's not a diamond. I would not trust my eye on them - I would send them in to a certified lab for positive testing for anything of any real size.

Jim
Shandroid

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »

Thank you, Jim, you're a peach! Wink

You can call me Shan...Smiley
You can see my work here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShantasticJewelry
Jim A.
Master Member

GARNETS!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

You're welcome!

Jim
rocks2dust
Mods
Trade Count: (+9)
Master Member

Blue Mt. jasp

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »

I'm going to disagree slightly. Some newer testers do easily distinguish moissanite (especially those which measure reflectivity), though most will not. Moissanite also is beyond the range of most refractometers. You pay a bit more for testers that will detect those. I think that seller's confidence is misplaced.

More importantly, you can also easily pick out a moissanite just by putting it next to a diamond. They look similar, but not the same. To my eye, moissanite looks odd (brighter than a diamond, and yet with what I'd describe as a "waxy" look to the light being thrown).

But why pay the prices being charged for moissanite at all? For less, you can get something natural and just as (or more) beautiful. If you must go artificial, you can find CZ that will fool most people at a tiny fraction of the cost of moissanite.

The other thing you have to watch for is "moissanite" and "moissanite diamond simulant" that aren't really moissanite (usually just overpriced CZ or worse). Those "fake fakes" are all over ebay and elsewhere in the market.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:11:49 PM by Astynax » Logged

Jim A.
Master Member

GARNETS!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »

Fake fakes....sad isn't it.
 Moissanite will show doubling also. Both diamond, and moissanite are above the RI scale for almost all testers, including a refractometer. They are the only one that is lighter than a true diamond - all the rest are heavier - but the grayish - greenish hue will give it the waxy look - lot's of sparkle - but the color is just not quite right. I always look for the doubling first off.

Jim
TheGemDr
Professionals

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »

Conspiracy Guy says they have sold many more Moissanite Testers than Moissanite stones.

My first repair to one of these was a particularly scary experience as the stone changed colour to a brown yellow as I heated it on my dop stick. This faded as the stone cooled to room temerature and I started breathing again.

Since then I have been told that this is the quickest positive ID, a match or candle flame will do. Not recommended to do this to a customers stone, at least not in front of them...grin.

Tony.
Jim A.
Master Member

GARNETS!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »

LOL! If it doesn't turn back you just fried somebody's REAL diamond! My luck it'd be a natural green too.
 I cut a cuprite that I don't think I breathed for a week...stand up from the bench, and have to pull the chair cushion out of my backside to walk away.

I charge extra for that too.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: